Real Bread bakeries dominate UK’s best poll
Seven of the top 10 are Campaign supporters
Lovingly Artisan, owned by Real Bread Campaign ambassador Aidan Monks and Catherine Connor, has topped a poll by British Baker of ‘more than 100 specialists, including artisan bakers, consultants, suppliers and lecturers’ to be named the best artisan bakery in Britain.
Eight of the thirteen bakeries on the list are owned/run by Real Bread Campaign supporters, including Aidan’s fellow Campaign ambassador behind the eponymous Peter Cooks Bread.
Real Bread Campaign co-ordinator Chris Young said: “Congratulations to Aidan, Catherine, their crew and the teams at the other bakeries on the list. It’s always fantastic to see Campaign supporters, and other Real Bread bakers, get the recognition they deserve.”
Campaign supporters in the baker's dozen
1. Lovingly Artisan, Cumbria
2. The Street Bakeshop, Basingstoke
3. E5 Bakehouse, London
4. Bread Source, Norfolk
6. Northern Rye, Newcastle Upon Tyne
7. Poppyseed Bakery, Eastbourne
8. Peter Cooks Bread, Hereford
13. Freedom Bakery, Glasgow
The list also includes past Real Bread Campaign supporters Bread Ahead Bakery and The Dusty Knuckle. Both in London and Manchester’s Pollen.
The awards were presented on 31 January 2023 at the first gathering of The Artisan Collective, ‘an initiative created by British Baker to celebrate artisan bakeries and the people behind them while offering a platform to facilitate conversations and share skills.’
- Slow Food UK names Peter Cook baker of the year
- MMM...Real Bread awards
- Real Bread Campaign ambassador named Baker of the Year
- Stars in their ryes
- Wild Hearth Bakery’s Highland hat trick
- Slow Food Awards honour Real Bread Campaigners
- Real Bread bakers scoop top awards
- Great Taste Real Bread winners
- Britain's Best Loaf is Real Bread
- Scottish Bread Championship winners announced
- Source of Success
- Bakers wear capes
- Best in dough
- Wholemeal sourdough named Britain’s Best Loaf
- Cereal champion
- World doughmination
- Real Bread rules! (again)
- Real Bread dominates the World Bread Awards
- A slice of the winnings
Published 2 Feb 2023
Real Bread Campaign: The Real Bread Campaign finds and shares ways to make bread better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet. Whether your interest is local food, community-focussed small enterprises, honest labelling, therapeutic baking, or simply tasty toast, everyone is invited to become a Campaign supporter.
Latest related news
Support our charity
Your donation will help support the spread of baking skills and access to real bread.