If you are planning to have a stall or market outdoors then you may need to apply for a street trading licence.

Street trading is defined as 'the selling or offering for sale of any article in the street within designated areas'.

Anyone who wishes to sell items from a trailer or stall in a street must first obtain Street Trading Consent from the Council which will cost a certain amount per year. If you are trading on private land (for example, on an area outside a community centre or church hall) then you may not need consent, but whoever owns the land may need Planning Permission. To confirm the situation it is best to contact your council's planning office.

If you wish to sell food, you will probably also need to provide evidence that you have public liability insurance and that your business is registered with your local council. Local residents and businesses who may be affected by your application may also be consulted before any Street Trading Consent is granted. Consent may not be granted when adverse comments are received or where there is a risk to road safety or there is a possibility of a nuisance being created.

Some food co-ops that do run stalls in the street have built up good links with their planning departments so that they may not always have to pay for a street trading licence.

To find more useful food co-op related information visit our homepage

Food Co-ops toolkit: The Food Co-ops Toolkit will give you all the information you need to set up your own food co-op.

The Green House
244-254 Cambridge Heath Road
London E2 9DA

020 3559 6777

Sustain advocates food and agriculture policies and practices that enhance the health and welfare of people and animals, improve the working and living environment, promote equity and enrich society and culture.

© Sustain 2024
Registered charity (no. 1018643)
Data privacy & cookies