Local Government Declaration on Sugar Reduction and Healthier Food
The Local Government Declaration on Sugar Reduction and Healthy Food provides a framework to support councils to use strategic leadership and influence to improve availability and access to healthier food and reduce the promotion and availability of foods and drinks high in sugar, fat and/or salt.
What is the problem?
- One in three London children are overweight or obese by the time they start secondary school
- More than 3.8 million Londoners are overweight or obese
- Overweight, obesity and poor diet contribute to a range of health problems including type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, some cancers and musculo-skeletal problems
Who can sign the declaration?
This initiative is aimed at local authorities because of their strategic leadership role and aims to support them to get ‘their own house in order’ and to use their influencing role with other organisations in the local area. The declaration needs to be signed by one or more senior executive(s) and/or elected members of the Council to confirm a commitment to take at least one action under each of the following six key areas:
- Tackle advertising and sponsorship
- Improve the food controlled or influenced by the council
- Reduce prominence of sugary drinks and promote free drinking water
- Support businesses and organisations to improve their food offer
- Deliver healthier public events
- Raise public awareness
Action can include continuing support to existing initiatives as long as there is a commitment to new initiatives on some of the key areas. It can include areas controlled or influenced by the council. In addition, the local authority commits to report on progress annually. Find out which London boroughs have already signed the declaration.
For more information, download the declaration resources
Become a signatory
If you represent a local authority, please fill the application form with information about your commitments under the six areas and return it to Sustain.
For more information contact:
Phone number: 0203 5596 777
London Food Link: This is the umbrella for all of Sustain's initiatives in London. Our work includes helping to influence local government policy, hands-on food growing training, running sessions for public sector caterers, creating guidance for independent eateries and food producers, public awareness campaigns, and joining the dots between people around specific food issues. The LFL supporter network is open to everyone who grows, produces, teaches, peddles, promotes and simply enjoys good food in the capital.