Local Government Declaration on Sugar Reduction and Healthier Food
What is the problem?
- One in three London children are overweight or obese by the time they start secondary school
- More than 3.8 million Londoners are overweight or obese
Who can sign the declaration?
To sign the declaration the local authority has to commit to take at least six different actions across the following key areas:
- Tackle advertising and sponsorship
- Improve the food controlled or influenced by the council
- Reduce prominence of sugary drinks and promote free drinking water
- Support businesses and organisations to improve their food offer
- Public events
- Raise public awareness
Action can include continuing support to existing initiatives as long as there is a commitment to new initiatives on some of the key areas. It can include areas controlled or influenced by the council. In addition, the local authority commits to report on progress annually. Find out which London boroughs have already signed the declaration.
For more information, download the declaration resources
Become a signatory
If you represent a local authority, please fill the application form with information about your commitments under the six areas and return it to Sustain.
For more information contact:
0203 5596 777