Sustain / Coronavirus Food Alert
Defending our food supply
Our farmers, fishers, food distributors, markets and local shops are essential parts of the national food infrastructure.
Supermarkets and big food supply chain companies have access to policy-makers and targeted support. Sustain is looking at ways to support smaller farmers, fishers and food producers and their diverse market outlets.
Sustain and our alliance members are currently working on the following areas during the Covid-19 coronavirus pandemic:
- Helping smaller farmers and food growers manage food distribution, access to market outlets and finding workers
- Helping smaller fishers manage fish distribution and access to market outlets
- Helping food markets stay open and operate safely
- Helping local retail bakeries stay open and operate safely
- Helping communities grow food
We have also complied information for supporting local supply chains online:
- A list of online marketplaces and shopfronts for consumers to support their local food businesses
- Useful resources for producers and retailers moving their businesses online
Hungry for more? Sustain is hosting a wide variety of webinars this summer, with the next one covering Good Food Business: Rebuild, Reopen and Retain on Wed 24 June at 3-4.30pm.Check out the full list
Coronavirus Food Alert: Sustain's work on food resilience in the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic.We are helping secure food for vulnerable people and supporting local emergency responses.
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.