YOU can help our charity to protect people from being misled.
Since 2009, we have been campaigning and lobbying for an Honest Crust Act of improved loaf labelling and marketing law to protect people from missing or incomplete ingredients lists, or being misled by the misuse of words including wholegrain and freshly-baked.
As part of this, the Real Bread Campaign is challenging what we call a sourfaux cheats’ charter that would allow the use of baker’s yeast and additives in loaves named or marketed using the word sourdough.
Keeping this issue in the press
Highlights of the large amount of high-profile media coverage we are securing for this latest action include:
- Daily Mail Use your loaf and don't be fobbed off with sour-faux! We've all fallen for the chewy wonder of sourdough, but many shops are selling cheap imitations
- BBC Radio 4 PM (Evan Davies interviews Chris Young from 52m 5s)
- BBC News Sourdough row over code of practice
- Daily Mail Artisan bakers battle major bread brands over sourdough recipes claiming many high street loaves are not genuine
- The Telegraph Row over 'sourfaux' bread as bakers claim industry-wide definition will see loaves wrongly labelled 'sourdough'
- The Times Artisan bakers warn hipsters over ‘sourfaux’ bread
- i Newspaper Bread lovers at war over the correct use of the term sourdough
How you can help
Sustain, the charity that runs the Real Bread Campaign, receives no funding or sponsorship for our work.
YOU can help us to keep championing Real Bread and the people who make it, and challenging obstacles to their rise, by:
Be ready to take action
In November 2018, we secured a commitment from Defra that it would review the use of the term sourdough, and other loaf labelling and marketing legislation, after Britain leaves the EU.
We will be holding the next government to this.
Be the first to find out how you can be part of this by signing up to our free mailing list - click on the envelope icon at the top right hand corner of this page.
In the meantime
- Always read the label
- If there isn't one, ask why not. 'The law says we don't have to' is a feeble excuse. You're sure to find them making marketing claims the laws doesn't insist on.
- Write complaints to companies that make and sell sourfaux
- Find additive-free loaves on the Real Bread Map
- Look for The Real BreadLoaf Mark
And help us to spread the word on social media, through your business or organisation, and simply by talking to people.
#sourdough not #sourfaux #SaveOurSourdough
Published 2 Dec 2019
Real Bread Campaign: The Real Bread Campaign finds and shares ways to make bread better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet. Whether your interest is local food, community-focussed small enterprises, honest labelling, therapeutic baking, or simply tasty toast, everyone is invited to become a Campaign supporter.
Latest related news
Support our charity
Your donation will help support the spread of baking skills and access to real bread.