Food co-ops can have a wide range of benefits in addition to providing good food for you and your local community.
- Increases access to affordable fruit and vegetables and other healthy foods.
- Helps to raise awareness of the benefits of eating a healthy diet.
- Improves well-being in volunteers who often gain increased self esteem, confidence and a sense of purpose.
- If set up to do so, increases supply of local and organic produce.
- Easier for people to shop by foot or by bike by providing outlets in residential areas.
- Provides food that often has less packaging, and generates less waste.
- Engages local people in their community, which may then lead on to other activities.
- Acts as a focal point for local people to meet up and make new friends.
- Helps to revitalise community facilities.
- Provides a more sociable place to shop.
- Helps to support local producers and more ethical suppliers by providing an outlet for their goods.
- Keep smoney circulating in the local economy.
- Offers volunteers new skills and work experience.
- halls or even have their own shops.