Read on for Sustain’s submissions to the development of a new National Food Strategy for England.
Sustain’s submissions focused on a series of big ideas. Over the first half of 2019, Sustain ran a process with members and experts to prioritise those policies which we feel should be included in the Strategy. As well as the Sustain submissions below, we also include some of those published by Sustain members.
- Let’s make all the UK’s fish – wild-caught or farmed – verifiably sustainable
- Ban the sale of endangered fish in the UK
- No Net Farm Loss – Building farm diversity and resilience into the National Food Strategy
- Champion a target of 10% of the UK grocery market to be from non-multiples by 2030 in order to improve food retail diversity
- Every local area to provide 50 working, publicly accessible drinking water fountains
- Improving Healthy Start vouchers for health, poverty and UK farmers
- Good food for schools, hospitals and care settings
- Make every UK school and early years’ setting a healthy food zones
- Stronger regulations for labelling and packaging design on food and drink
- Increasing licensing and planning powers to reformulate unhealthy food sold to children
- A national standard for eligibility for older people and vulnerable groups to receive food such as meals on wheels
- An Honest Crust Act to review and update British loaf labelling and marketing legislation
- Incorporation of the Right to Food into domestic legislation
- Food growing on prescription available to all by 2030
- There should be a cross-sector food partnership in every major town, city, metropolitan borough and county across the UK
Other submissions from Sustain members and observers that we are aware of at the time of the National Food Strategy deadline for submissions:
- Chartered Instituted of Environmental Health submission
- Eating Better Alliance submission
- Pesticides Action Network UK submission
- Royal Society of Public Health submission
- Permaculture Association submission
- School Food Matters submission
- Sustainable Soils Alliance submission
Published 28 Oct 2019
Sustainable Farming Campaign: Sustain encourages integration of sustainable food and farming into local, regional and national government policies.
Latest related news
National planning policies to set a new baseline for a sustainable food and farming system
21 Sep 2022
'Lack of forward planning' highlighted as key concern in food responses during Covid-19
15 Aug 2022
12 Oct 2022
The summit will consider meat and dairy production and consumption in the context of the climate and nature emergency, where inspiring work and opportunities exist, and the assumptions and underlying values about meat which have shaped our policy to date.
Support our campaign
Your donation will help us work with farmers to push for policies to support farming fit for our future.