A lockdown love for life because life’s sweeter with sourdough!
The main reasons we run this initiative are increasing the number of people:
- Buying genuine sourdough from local bakeries.
- Making their own sourdough bread.
- Supporting our charity’s work.
A particular focus for 2021 is encouraging people who’ve been buying from local, indie bakeries (or got the bready baking bug*) during the pandemic to keep doughing.
*Well, cultures of lactic acid bacteria and yeast cells…
Grab a slice of the action
We encourage all business owners who make (or teach people to make) genuine sourdough bread to take advantage of the global phenomenon that we have created. For example, last year saw more than more than 5700 #SourdoughSeptember posts from nearly 60 countries on Instagram alone.
Please do use this opportunity to promote a relevant business AND the Real Bread Campaign in whatever way works for you!
- Poster and logo: Campaign supporters can download and use this year's Sourdough September poster and logo.
- Our calendar: Click on the + to add details of your baking class, starter giveaway, pizza night, weekly/monthly special, fundraising for the Campaign or whatever you get up to.
- Local media: Get in touch with websites, papers, magazines, radio and TV stations round your way to say: "You know the Real Bread Campaign's annual, international celebration of sourdough? Well we’re the business on your patch helping local people to enjoy it.” Camapign supporters can login to download a media release template.
Make some noise
Whether or not you get involved in Sourdough September, please don’t keep it to yourself. Please help us to promote the initiative and the Real Bread Campaign in general via any medium, be that print, online, carrier pigeon, smoke signals etc.
Use the #SourdoughSeptember hashtag in all relevant social media posts.
As usual, our friends at Balcony Shirts are selling an exclusive, limited-edition design t-shirt, apron and mug, making a doughnation towards our charity’s work for each one sold.
More ways to support our charity
Say no to sourfaux!
The bandwagon speeding to hijack the word sourdough to market products made with additives and/or baker’s yeast** continues to gain passengers.
**Great bread can be leavened with baker’s yeast on its own or in combination with a starter - just don’t call it sourdough! A product made using any additive isn’t what we call bread at all.
Tell Boris no #ChildHealthUTurn
Take our online action
Published 5 Aug 2021
Real Bread Campaign: The Real Bread Campaign finds and shares ways to make bread better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet. Whether your interest is local food, community-focussed small enterprises, honest labelling, therapeutic baking, or simply tasty toast, everyone is invited to become a Campaign supporter.