On 14 June Sustain hosted a parliamentary roundtable in Westminster. We presented our top asks to politicians on what is needed for peri-urban farming to have an impact on the national food system and local economies.
- Summary of the discussion can be found here.
- Our presentation slides for our report can be found here.
- Our policy briefing for Parliamentarians can be found here.
- Our full report can be found here.
- (Chair) Lord Donald Curry CBE: Crossbench Peer and member of House of Lords Land Use in England Committee and Rural Economy Committee
- Daniel Zeichner (40:30): Labour MP for Cambridge & Shadow Minister for Food, Farming and Fisheries
- Derek Thomas (44:55): Conservative MP for St Ives & Member of the House of Commons Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (EFRA) committee
- Lord Cameron of Dillington (48:50): Crossbench Peer, Chair of the House of Lords Land Use in England Committee
- Lord John Whitty (57:10): Labour Peer, Member of the House of Lords Food, Poverty, Health and Environment Committee and Environment and Climate Change Committee
- Jenny Rathbone (01:03:14): Welsh Labour member of Senedd, Member of the Welsh Parliament’s committee on Climate Change, Environment, and Infrastructure Committee
- Vicki Hird (00:00): Head of Sustainable Farming, Sustain
- Gareth Roberts (09:57): Founder, Regather
- Dan Larke (25:38): Glebelands Organic Produce
- Sarah Williams: Programmes Director, Sustain
- Bee Laughton: Landworkers' Alliance
- Steph Wetherell: Bristol Food Producers
- Mark Walton: Shared Assets
Published 14 Jun 2022
Fringe Farming: The Fringe Farming project is a collaboration with partners across the UK to understand barriers, identify land opportunities and local actions, and develop national policy to enable agroecological farming at the edge of cities as part of a green economic recovery.
12 Oct 2022
The summit will consider meat and dairy production and consumption in the context of the climate and nature emergency, where inspiring work and opportunities exist, and the assumptions and underlying values about meat which have shaped our policy to date.
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.