A new Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill is being presented in parliament by a cross party group of MPs. Given the huge impact of the climate and nature emergency on food and farming, Sustain is giving its support to the Bill.
The Bill calls for:
- the UK to make and enact a serious plan. This means dealing with our real fair share of emissions so that we don’t go over critical global rises in temperature
- our entire carbon footprint be taken into account (in the UK and overseas)
- the protection and conservation of nature here and overseas along supply chains, recognising the damage we cause through the goods we consume
- those in power not to depend on technology to save the day, which is used as an excuse to carry on polluting as usual
- ordinary people to have a real say on the way forward in a citizens’ assembly with bite
This is a Private Members’ Bill, and taking it through parliament will be difficult but it has been done before with major climate legislation. The bill has been written by scientists, lawyers and activists and covers key areas that will have a major impact on food, the right to food and land use here and overseas.
The Bill is gathering support from a broad range of campaign groups, businesses, charities and individuals.
"The great task of our era is to avert catastrophic climate change and restore nature, maintaining our ability to sustain human life and pursue social progress. We need big, transformative action to create the economic, policy and legislative conditions for better food, farming and fishing to thrive and accelerate into the mainstream."
Kath Dalmeny, chief executive of Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming
See why Sustain is working on the climate and nature emergency.
2 Sep 2020
Climate change and nature
Climate change and nature: Sustain has taken a keen interest in the rapidly accumulating evidence about the effect of food and farming on climate change and nature, as scientific evidence emerges that our food system is a very significant contributor to greenhouse gas emissions and biodiversity loss.
Latest related news
Whole farm systems must be central to Environmental Land Management and wider policy – new Sustain alliance paper
22 Feb 2021
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.