The implementation and promotion of the Right to Food is a seven-step process (as set out by the UN's Food and Agriculture Organisation), namely:
- Measurement: Identification of the hungry and food-insecure for targeted policies and programmes
- Identifying solutions: Assessment of the legal, policy and institutional environment, and of current financial and other measures, to indicate the need changes to improve household food security
- Adopting a strategy: Development of rights-based household food security strategies with verifiable and time-bound objectives and targets, institutional responsibilities, mechanisms for coordinated action, and adequate monitoring systems
- Allocating responsibilities and accountability: Definition of cross-government responsibilities and coordination mechanisms, and participation by non-governmental sectors
- Legislating for change: Integration of the Right to Food in national legislation, such as a constitution or a framework law, to establish long-term binding obligations for government, local authorities, service providers and other stakeholders
- Monitoring progress: Establishment of a monitoring system to assess the implementation process and the impact of policies and programmes with the goal of holding government accountable
- Ensuring effective redress: Establishment of adequate judicial, quasi-judicial and/or administrative recourse mechanisms that provide effective redress for violations of the Right to Food
We want the UK government to adopt legislation that upholds the Right to Food in UK law, securing a legally binding commitment for relevant authorities to work together to tackle food poverty and to end hunger. Some of the specific actions needed by government, local authorities and service providers are outlined on our Take Action page.
12 Oct 2022
The summit will consider meat and dairy production and consumption in the context of the climate and nature emergency, where inspiring work and opportunities exist, and the assumptions and underlying values about meat which have shaped our policy to date.
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.