Local food strategies
Over recent years, Sustain has worked with several local authorities, planners and developers to integrate healthy and sustainable food considerations into their work. Work on local strategies and policies can help create a supportive environment within which local food projects can thrive.
- Leading up to its launch in Spring 2006, Sustain worked closely with the London Development Agency, London Food and others to help facilitate the London Food Strategy. London Food Link - a project of Sustain - ran the consultation and several London Food Link members now sit on the London Food Board that oversees its implementation. The London Food Strategy aims to:
- improve Londoners' health through food
- reduce the negative environmental effects of food
- support a vibrant food economy
- celebrate and promote London's food
- develop London's food security.
Visit the London Food website to find out more: http://www.london.gov.uk/mayor/health/food/index.jsp
Find out more about London Food Link on the Sustain website at: http://www.londonfoodlink.org/
- In 2006-07, Sustain worked with the Duchy of Cornwall's sustainability team to develop a food strategy for a proposed housing development in the Newquay Growth Area. The sustainable food strategy was submitted with the planning application in 2007 (with permission granted in 2009), alongside strategies on sustainable energy, water and transport. To download these documents, see: http://www.duchyofcornwall.org/designanddevelopment_newquay.htm
- Since Autumn 2008, we have been working with Camden Primary Care Trust and Camden Council to develop a borough food strategy. Further details can be found in the London Food Link pages of the Sustain website, at: https://www.sustainweb.org/page.php?id=648
Links to other food strategies (generally focusing on nutrition and health issues) can be found on the Food Vision website run by the Food Standards Agency and LACORS (Local Authority Coordinators of Regulatory Services.
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.