A livestream of the Sustainable Food Places Day of Celebration and Action, with talks from MPs and food partnerships.
We are living through an unprecedented cost of living crisis and local authorities need backing from national governments to support those most in need through building resilient food systems. The Good Food Nation Bill passed in the Scottish Parliament in June, establishing an independent food commission and setting statutory obligation for national and local food plans. The Minister for Social Justice in Wales has just announced £3 million of funding to support the development of food partnerships and help strengthen those that already exist. This is hugely inspiring, and the other nations should follow suit.
The day was an opportunity to put the amazing work of food partnerships on the radar of local MPs, and to put out a call for: one food bill for every nation, one food plan and partnership in every local area.
Chair's introduction - Kath Dalmeny, Chief Executive, Sustain
Welcome speech - Caroline Lucas, Green Party MP for Brighton Pavilion
- Vic Borrill, Brighton & Hove Food Partnership
- Paul Brookhouse, Derby Community Action & Amanda Solloway, Conservative MP for Derby North
- Sonja Woodcock, Foodwise Leeds
- Katie Palmer, Food Sense Wales
- Richard Burgon, Labour MP for Leeds East
- Deidre Brock, SNP MP for Edinburgh North and Leith
- Jim Shannon, DUP MP for Strangford
- Richard Foord, Liberal Democrat MP for Tiverton and Honiton
Contact email@example.com if you have any question regarding the event.
Sustain annual conference - 8 December
Published 20 Jul 2022
Sustainable Food Places: The Sustainable Food Places Network helps people and places share challenges, explore practical solutions and develop best practice on key food issues, so if you are working to drive positive food change or are interested in developing a programme, please do get in touch.