As a restaurant your choices matter! By talking about the changes you are making – and would like to make – with both your suppliers and your customers, you can help to encourage growth in both the demand for and the supply of sustainable food.
What can you do?
- Tell your suppliers about the sorts of sustainable foods you would like to buy, so that they start to offer them to you.
- Tell your customers about the good work you are doing, and explain why it is important.
- Tell your customers why your menu features particular ingredients:
- Food businesses that feature seasonal and locally grown food do not offer the same foods all year round.
- Make a virtue of this by using seasonal produce as an opportunity to advertise and tell stories about your interesting new menu items.
- Train your staff in the issues you are trying to tackle, get them involved in the changes you make and encourage them to promote this work to customers.
- Highlight the most sustainable foods on your menu.
- Turn sustainability into a selling point by making clear the company’s commitment to improve its environmental performance.
Support our charity
Donate to enhance the health and welfare of people, animals and the planet.