Press for change at the till:
get the junk off the checkouts!
Angry at how unhealthy snacks and treats are placed to tempt you and your children at the supermarket checkout?
The Junk Free Checkouts campaign challenges supermarkets and other retailers to act on long-running customer concern and permanently remove unhealthy snacks from all of their checkouts and queuing areas.
The campaign gives shoppers a number of easy ways, both in store and online, of pressing the case for change at the till. Over 10,000 ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ cards have been distributed and handed in at checkouts nationwide. Thousands of emails have also been sent to supermarket head offices and dozens of images have been submitted for a wall of shame.
TAKE ACTION: challenge supermarkets to go junk free at the checkout
- Read more about our campaign (for a quick summary - see here)
- See our launch splash in The Independent
Actions - in store
The junk free checkout test
Hand in a ‘pass’ or a ‘fail’ card to the cashier, to give to the store manager. Or put one in the comments box at the customer service desk.
- Order your cards: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address and we'll send you a starter pack of 10 cards (or more if you require).
- or download a set of cards for printing at home.
Checkouts wall of shame / wall of fame
Add your images and experiences of the worst offenders or examples of best practice. It's easy: a quick snap or a couple of sentences is all we need. Send in via email or follow the links to add direct to our Wall of Shame and Wall of Fame.
- Fill out our SurveyMonkey form - save the link to your phone and use it whilst at the shops, or when you get home.
- or download an audit form, so you can print copies and get checking what's at your local checkouts, and send us the results.
Actions - at home
Write to your Store Manager: Print and send off this template letter.
Sign this British Dental Association e-petition to the Government: Sign here
Read our Checkouts Checked Out report: Download a copy of the report
Children's Food Campaign - email@example.com / 0203 5596 777
Children's Food Campaign: Better food and food teaching for children in schools, and protection of children from junk food marketing are the aims of Sustain's high-profile Children's Food Campaign. We also want clear food labelling that can be understood by everyone, including children.