Get the junk off the checkouts!
Angry at how unhealthy snacks and treats are placed to tempt you and your children at the supermarket checkout?
The British Dietetic Association’s (BDA) Dietitians in Obesity Management Specialist Group (DOM UK) and the Children's Food Campaign have joined forces to urge supermarkets to act on customer concern and permanently remove unhealthy snacks from checkouts and queuing areas.
The Junk Free Checkouts campaign gives you a number of easy ways, both in store and online, of highlighting what is being sold at checkouts and in queuing aisles, and pressing the case for change at the till.
TAKE ACTION: challenge supermarkets to go junk free at the checkout
- Read more about our campaign (for a quick summary - see here)
- See our launch splash in The Independent
Actions - in store
The junk free checkout test
Hand in a ‘pass’ or a ‘fail’ card to the cashier, to give to the store manager. Or put one in the comments box at the customer service desk.
- Order your cards: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and address and we'll send you a starter pack of 10 cards (or more if you require).
- or download a set of cards for printing at home.
Checkouts wall of shame / wall of fame
Add your images and experiences of the worst offenders or examples of best practice. It's easy: a quick snap or a couple of sentences is all we need. Send in via email or follow the links to add direct to our Wall of Shame and Wall of Fame.
- Fill out our SurveyMonkey form - save the link to your phone and use it whilst at the shops, or when you get home.
- or download an audit form, so you can print copies and get checking what's at your local checkouts, and send us the results.
Actions - at home
Write to your Store Manager: Print and send off this template letter.
Sign this British Dental Association e-petition to the Government: Sign here
Read our Checkouts Checked Out report: Download a copy of the report
Children's Food Campaign - email@example.com / 020 7065 0902