Real Bread Campaign office volunteer
The food and farming charity Sustain has an opportunity for a volunteer to start in early February 2019 to support its Real Bread Campaign coordinator leading into Real Bread Week.
This will suit someone able to commit to volunteering two full days a week in the Sustain office for at least three months.
Defining Real Bread as made without artificial additives, the Campaign seeks, finds and shares ways of making al loaves better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet.
Find full details at realbreadcampaign.org
Initially, a major element of the role will be calling Campaign supporters to get them involved in Real Bread Week, ahead of its launch on 23 February.
The volunteer will support the Campaign coordinator with general admin, as well as taking responsibility for elements of specific initiatives. Tasks may include:
- Research and writing online news items
- Editorial support for True Loaf magazine
- Compiling the regular Breadcrumbs enewsletter in Mailchimp
- Answering emails sent to the Campaign
- Scheduling posts on Twitter to promote the Campaign's work
- Weekly mailout to new supporters
- Research, writing and participant recruitment for projects such as No Loaf Lost (surplus reduction), Together We Rise (therapeutic/social baking) or We Are Real Bread (photo-led project highlighting the many faces behind the rise of Real Bread)
- Encouraging lapsed supporters to renew subscriptions and working to attract new paying supporters
Desirable abilities and interests
As a lot of the work is done by phone, you must be ready, willing and able to get on the blower to work through lists of our supporters and other friends to keep them involved in our work.
You will also have:
- The ability to show initiative and work independently
- Good writing and research skills with keen attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and work well with colleagues, Campaign supporters and others
- An interest in the Campaign’s work
A love for (or at least a tolerance of) dreadful, bread-related puns can come in handy, too…
The position is based at Sustain’s office close to Cambridge Heath station in London and not suitable for remote working.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, please look around the Real Bread Campaign website to get a good idea of its work.
Then email your CV (max. 2 sides of A4) with a short covering message to Chris Young: realbread [at] sustainweb.org
In your short covering email, please outline:
- What you feel that you can bring to the Campaign, including your relevant skills and experience
- What you hope to get out of volunteering with the Campaign – it’s a two-way deal!
Applications close at noon on Monday 28 January 2019 and selected applicants will be invited to the Sustain office for a chat the following week.
Please note that these are a voluntary positions but Sustain can reimburse receipted out-of-pocket expenses of up to £13 a day for lunch and travel to/from the office.
Sustain encourages applications from anyone with relevant skills and interests, but regret that they are unable to offer any payment or expenses beyond those outlined above; or assist with finding accommodation or with visa applications.