Time to take new bytes of Real Bread
At noon on Monday 21st February, the Real Bread Campaign launches its new website. Features of this revised recipe virtual bread bin include:
- The Real Bread Finder: the enhanced version of the only online directory dedicated to helping people find where to buy Real Bread locally is now much more user friendly for both Real Bread bakers adding their loaves and shoppers looking for them.
- Lessons in Loaf: A FREE download for teachers on planning hands-on Real Bread making sessions for any age, plus lesson plans to tie the topic of bread in with a range of curriculum subjects at Key Stage 2.
- Knead to Know: the Real Bread starter: the Campaignís 140 page introductory guide to success in bringing Real Bread back to the heart of your local community, available as a limited edition book or PDF download.
- Bake Your Lawn: A FREE grassroots guide to support teachers and parents helping children around Britain to sow a square metre of soil with a handful of wheat and grow it, mill it, bake it, eat it, to follow the Real Bread journey from seed to sandwich on their own doorsteps.
- Real Bread on the Menu: details of workshops to help public sector institutions (such as schools, care homes and hospitals) and food access projects (e.g. co-operative buying groups, community cafes, box schemes) around Britain get baking Real Bread in-house.
- True Loaf: current and back issues of the exclusive quarterly magazine for Real Bread Campaign members.
- Discounts: on Real Bread making courses around the country and moreÖ
Part of Sustain: the alliance for better food and farming, and funded by the Big Lottery Fundís Local Food programme, the Real Bread Campaign champions locally-baked, 100% additive-free loaves and finds ways to make bread better for us, better for our communities and better for the planet.
Membership of the Real Bread Campaign is open to everyone who cares about the state of bread in Britain, full details of which can be found at http://www.realbreadcampaign.org/
For images or more information, please contact Chris Young:
email@example.com or 020 7837 1228
Notes to editors
Local Food has been developed by a consortium of 15 national environmental organisations, and is managed on their behalf by the Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts (RSWT). Supported by the Big Lottery Fund's Changing Spaces programme, Local Food has distributed grants to a variety of food related projects to make locally grown food more accessible. http://www.localfoodgrants.org/
The Royal Society of Wildlife Trusts (RSWT) is a registered charity, incorporated by Royal Charter, to promote conservation and manage environmental programmes throughout the whole of the UK. It has established management systems for holding and distributing funds totalling more than £20 million annually to environmental projects across the UK.
The Big Lottery Fundís Changing Spaces programme was launched in November 2005 to help communities enjoy and improve their local environments. The programme funds a range of activities from local food schemes and farmers markets, to education projects teaching people about the local environment.
The Big Lottery Fund, the largest of the National Lottery good cause distributors, has been rolling out £2 million in Lottery good cause money every 24 hours to health, education, environment and charitable causes across the UK. http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/.
The Sheepdrove Trust provides generous annual funding to the Campaign.
Other current/forthcoming initiatives from the Real Bread Campaign include:
- Real Bread Maker Week (7th -13th May): if your kitchen is home to one of Britainís millions of unused bread machines, this is the perfect time to dig it out and use it to bake Real Bread or pass it on to someone who will. Alternatively, share your plug in baker by placing it an a communal area, such as a workplace kitchen, student hall of residence, care home or other community group shared space.
- Local Loaves for Lammas (1st August): celebrate this ancient harvest festival by buying or baking a local loaf of Real Bread.