Why not find out if your local Environmental Health Office is
willing to help prepare this appendix?
Points to consider:
- Lead responsibility
- Who will be responsible for ensuring compliance with these
- Requirement on all providers
Do the providers of food services meet the following requirements?
- All the staff employed in food preparation hold a basic
food hygiene certificate.
- Staff are supervised by someone holding an advanced food
hygiene certificate or equivalent.
- A 'Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points' system is in
operation and observed at all times. Is a copy of this available
- All Government /European Union regulations appertaining
to food hygiene are complied with.
- Additional requirements on school meal providers
- Arrange for a full independent food hygiene inspection of
the food storage, meal preparation and food serving areas?
How often? Should a copy of the inspectors' report be provided
to the school?
- Do they have a cleaning and disinfectant schedule that can
- Are pupils reminded to wash their hands every time they
go to the toilet?
- Do we ensure pupils wash their hands before they eat food?
- Require adults who assist with food preparation activities
in the school, including classroom activities, to possess
a basic food hygiene certificate or equivalent, or to complete
the British Nutrition Foundation 'Teaching Food Safety' CD
programme. This will both encourage food safety and provide
them with an additional personal qualification
- Classroom food handling and preparation
- Do we have a list of do's and don't's?
- Food Poisoning
- What is policy /procedure in the event of an outbreak? Who
should be aware of this? Are they aware?