Promotion and raising awareness of environmentally sustainable
food production methods and socially responsible food marketing
Increasing the use of safe, environmentally sustainable local
- Encourage caterers to use locally grown produce wherever possible
- Require use of organic food wherever possible
- Ensure menu planning is linked to seasonal produce
- Through the catering specification eliminate unnecessary and
potentially harmful food additives such as bovine growth hormones,
irradiation, and genetically modified foods
Public policy and school campaigns
- Aim to ensure maximum uptake of meals and that all pupils entitled
to a free meal receive one. This may be done through parental
information / communication, meals promotions and procedures to
protect identity of free meal claimants. Have we developed a method
of monitoring uptake?
- Maximise the reduction of waste by recycling, reusing, composting
and purchasing recycled products. Include the school caterers
in the project.
- Does the school want to advocate or stimulate debate on food
- label disclosure?
- organic farming targets?
- advertising regulations for companies targeting children?
Methods include letters to members of parliament, debates,
petitions, inviting speakers into school, pupils' question time.