Establish the organisational structure and arrangements to oversee
the policy and encourage a participatory approach
- Identify who will take lead responsibility, i.e. who will make
- Take a whole school approach - include consideration of curriculum,
food service, pastoral and social care
- Set up a school nutrition action group (SNAG).
- Invite parents, pupils, teachers, school meal provider,
health workers, interested members of the local community
- Consider the frequency of meetings.
- Include in the annual reports to governors and parents:
- Description of the level of service.
- Meal uptake.
- School meal promotion marketing plan.
- Progress in meeting food policy goals.
- Quality of food being served (hygiene, nutrition, sustainability).
- Solicit pupil preferences in planning menus and snacks. This
could be done with focus groups, surveys, taste tests etc.
- Decide how to involve parents and the wider community.