News and food opportunities
Use the form on the right to get in touch, and to register for our news list to receive Food Legacy updates. We will not share your contact details with anyone else (unless you register for one of the promotional local and sustainable food directories mentioned below).
We can also circulate news relevant to caterers and food suppliers interested in healthy and sustainable food. So please send us news that you think Food Legacy supporters might be interested in. However, please note that we can promote the work of food companies only as follows:
- to celebrate public commitments by restaurants, caterers, hospitality and events organisers to using more healthy and sustainable food. Get in touch: email@example.com.
- to promote the use of food from local and sustainable food producers, which we will do via promotion of local and sustainable food directories. We are not able to promote individual products, companies or commercial services through the Food Legacy programme.
- Unity Kitchen Café to serve up glorious food legacy - 07/05/2013
The first cafe in East London's newly re-developed Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will serve high-quality food to London 2012 health and sustainability standards.
- Food Legacy Awards celebrate the best of sustainable catering - 26/09/2012
Leading caterers and institutions, and companies that served food at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, have received Food Legacy Awards for championing healthy and sustainable food.
- London is putting sustainable food on the map - 14/08/2012
London’s food is changing for the better. Join us in Bethnal Green on 11th of September 2012 for a special conference to hear from some of the people that are making it happen, followed by an evening of celebration!
- Sustainable Fish Legacy 2012 report presented to UN - 26/07/2012
Sustainable fish campaigners have presented a report on the Sustainable Fish Legacy from the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, to the head of the United Nations Environment Programme.
- First pictures: Sustainable food on London 2012 menus - 23/07/2012
Sustainable food on London 2012 menus includes Fairtrade, Red Tractor and Marine Stewardship Council logos to show Olympic visitors their food is from ethical, British and sustainable marine sources - a first for any Olympic or Paralympic Games!
- London 2012 serves up the best in British food - 01/06/2012
The London Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games reveals details of the food and drink that will be served to the millions of spectators and thousands of athletes at the Games.
- Food Legacy project seeks volunteer support - 31/05/2012
Please consider helping the Food Legacy project officer to recruit more caterers and food businesses to help fulfil the ambitions of the London 2012 Food Vision
- Olympic menus to take Games visitors around the world - 28/05/2012
Jan Matthews, Head of Catering for London 2012, discusses the diversity of foods set to be available at the Olympic and Paralympic Games
- Red Tractor launches Team RT for 2012 - 30/04/2012
The Olympic Games is fast approaching, and to celebrate being a part of LOCOG’s Food Vision for the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Red Tractor is launching Team Red Tractor (‘Team RT’).
- Food Legacy and Ethical Eats to host festival and street food workshop on 8th May - 18/04/2012
This workshop is for festival and street-food caterers looking to learn more about building healthy and sustainable food principles into their dishes.
- Open Farm Sunday will take place on 12 June, 2012 - 06/04/2012
This annual event gives everyone the chance to meet the farmers who grow their food and care for the countryside, and is organised by LEAF (Linking Environment and Farming).
- Farm Assurance Schemes & Animal Welfare – How the standards compare - 02/04/2012
A new report from Compassion in World Farming compares the welfare standards of the major farm assurance schemes commonly adopted within the UK farming industry.
- FSA issues guidance on setting up a food stall during the Olympics - 28/03/2012
The UK's Food Standards Agency has issued guidance on how to set up a stall selling refreshments during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Event: Games-time information for the hospitality industry - 22/03/2012
The Greater London Authority (GLA), London & Partners and British Hospitality Association join forces to provide a morning of Games-time information and advice tailored for the hospitality industry.
- McDonald’s uses British chicken for London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic menus - 19/03/2012
London 2012 Olympic sponsor McDonald’s has pledged to increase the amount of chicken produced by British farmers to be served at the London 2012 Games.
- Head of catering for London 2012 discusses the Olympic Feast to come - 17/03/2012
With less than 150 days to go, the London 2012 catering team says they are on track to deliver the healthy, sustainable and diverse food promised in the London 2012 Food Vision.
- UK’s largest childcare provider commits to healthy and sustainable food - 15/03/2012
Busy Bees, the UK’s largest childcare provider, has gained a bronze Food for Life Catering Mark in 129 nurseries, improving the health and sustainability of the food they serve to young children.
- London food businesses encouraged to promote healthy eating - 14/03/2012
London food outlets are being urged to sign up to the Healthier Catering Commitment, to achieve certification if they reduce the amount of saturated fat, sugar and salt used in food.
- New food allergy guidance published for caterers - 13/03/2012
A new food allergy risk assessment tool for food businesses has been published by campaigners keen to avoid the repeat of tragic adverse reactions to food that have taken place at previous sporting events.
- WWF promotes sustainable candlelit dinners for Earth Hour - 13/03/2012
The conservation charity WWF is asking hundreds of millions of people to help save the planet by turning off their lights for one hour, on the same night, all across the planet, and to enjoy a sustainable candlelit dinner instead.
- Fairtrade wine heads for the London 2012 Games - 07/03/2012
South African Cape Fairtrade wine producer Thandi Wines is set to be part of the world's largest peacetime catering operation - the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- Get ready to fly the flag for Love British Food in 2012 - 29/02/2012
Some of the biggest retail and catering organisations are uniting behind Love British Food 2012 to paint menus and shop-shelves red, white and blue.
- National Vegetarian Week will take place May 21-27, 2012 - 28/02/2012
National Vegetarian Week 2012 is a celebration of meat-free food. The focus this year is on veggie breakfasts, with recipes, promotional materials, competitions and regional discounts and events.
- Professor Tim Lang says Olympic fish commitment 'sets new world standards' - 26/02/2012
Professor Tim Lang praises London 2012 for committing to serve fish that is demonstrably sustainable.
- Olympic food standards championed by London government - 12/02/2012
Sustainable food is firmly on the menu for London Government, according to a major review of responsible procurement published today by the Greater London Authority (GLA), and reporting on catering standards for London's City Hall, police, fire brigade and transport services.
- Nose-to-Tail meat workshop for chefs - 08/02/2012
On 6 March 2012, Ethical Eats - working with the Food Legacy programme - will be holding a workshop for chefs and restaurateurs on whole animal butchery and lesser used cuts of meat, including offal.
- Food for Life promotes healthy eating and sustainable fish - 30/01/2012
In 2012, Food for Life Catering Mark standards have been updated to require promotion of healthy eating and exclusion of endangered fish. A flexible points-based system also encourages caterers to use more sustainable food.
- Food Legacy features on Radio 4 Food Programme - 16/01/2012
Radio 4 investigates food for the London 2012 Olympics, and interviews Sustain, which coordinates the Food Legacy programme inspired by the London 2012 Food Vision
- Restaurants 'adopt a plot' to support community food growers - 10/01/2012
London restaurants are being encouraged to 'adopt a plot' and buy fresh and seasonal produce from community food growing spaces in the capital.
- RECRUITMENT NOW CLOSED: Sustainable Restaurant Association recruits for freelance assessors - 06/01/2012
The Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) is looking to recruit a team of assessors to rate UK restaurants' sustainability in 2012 through its Star Rating process.
- Catering and food contracts offered via CompeteFor website: - 02/12/2011
New opportunities for food and catering services are being offered on the CompeteFor website.
- Ten London Boroughs praised for creating an 'inspiring food legacy for London 2012' - 21/11/2011
Ten London Boroughs have been praised for “making excellent progress on key food issues” and 'creating an inspiring food legacy for London 2012'.
- RECRUITMENT NOW CLOSED: Food Legacy programme recruits for coordinator role - 09/11/2011
Food Legacy is recruiting for a coordinator role, to run the programme seeking to promote healthy and sustainable food in the catering and events sectors, inspired by the London 2012 Food Vision.
- London Mayor encourages higher standards for food in restaurants and catering - 06/10/2011
New Food Legacy campaign launched, inspired by the health and sustainability standards in the London 2012 Food Vision
- Too Good to Waste! Sustainable restaurants ask diners to take their left-overs home - 05/10/2011
The Sustainable Restaurant Association is encouraging restaurants to reduce the 600,000 tonnes of food we all waste every year, with Too Good to Waste doggy boxes, asking diners to take their left-overs home.
- Training available in school meal contracts and the Food for Life Catering Mark - 04/10/2011
Well over half of London’s boroughs now have school meal service contracts with the Soil Association’s Food for Life Catering Mark accreditation. Attend this training to find out more.
- Your community-grown salad couldn't be more fresh or local - 03/10/2011
Local Action on Food Network publishes guide for community groups to start trading in ultra-fresh and ultra-locally grown food, for local restaurants and catering outlets.
- Food safety and production courses launched for small businesses - 29/09/2011
Two practical and interactive courses have been developed by Safe and Local Supplier Approval (SALSA) to help small businesses understand the complexities of food safety during food production.
- Gary Rhodes and Michel Roux bring fine dining to Sustainable Fish City - 16/09/2011
The fine dining company Restaurant Associates has pledged to serve only sustainable fish, in its catering for leading London law firms, investment banks and marketing agencies.
- Raymond Blanc announces fish focus for this year’s Sustainable City Awards - 17/08/2011
Top chef Raymond Blanc announces fish focus for this year's Sustainable City Awards, working with the Sustainable Fish City campaign, inspired by the London 2012 Food Vision.
- Olympics to give huge boost to recycling and composting [Food Manufacture News] - 01/08/2011
With the launch of the tendering process for foodservice packaging suppliers, the London 2012 Olympics organisers are providing a welcome boost to 'widely recycled' and industrially compostable materials.
- Sodexo to offer RSPCA Freedom Food products at 1,000 sites - 20/07/2011
One of the largest foodservice companies in the UK, Sodexo, will now offer products from RSPCA Freedom Food approved farms at nearly 1,000 of its UK sites to support higher standards of farm animal welfare.